May 13, 2013 by Peggy Layton
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a chemical compound in a powdered form. It is mined and pulverized into a powder. It can be purchased at any grocery store or health food store. It is one of the most useful and safest substances on this Earth.
When mixed with water and an acid such as vinegar or lemon juice, baking soda releases bubbles of carbon dioxide. Baking soda is a staple in many homes for baking. It acts as a leavening agent in baked goods, helping them rise and hold their shape. Baking soda also can also be used in a multitude of ways to replace household cleaners made with chemicals. In addition, baking soda has medicinal uses, as I discussed in my last article.
Cleaning With Baking Soda
5 tablespoons baking soda
5 drops dish soap
4 tablespoons of vinegar
Mix all ingredients into a paste. Spread the paste all over the oven. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then scrub it and wipe it off.
1 tablespoon baking soda
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of baking soda on the dishes before running the dishwasher. It degreases and makes the dishes sparkling clean.
Clothes Degreaser, Whitener And Deodorizer
1 tablespoon baking soda
Use 1 tablespoon of soda along with the laundry detergent (per batch of clothing) in the washer to remove grease from clothing.
Sprinkle dry soda onto carpets or over pet stains and vacuum it up.
1 quart warm water
4 tablespoons baking soda
4 drops of dishwashing soap
Mix the ingredients into a solution. Scrub the solution into the carpet to remove stains. Rinse with clear water and use a towel to remove the excess moisture.
Refrigerator And Freezer Deodorizer
Open a small box of baking soda and leave the whole box inside the refrigerator or freezer. It will absorb unwanted odors and will last for up to a year.
½ cup baking soda
1 cup vinegar
Pour ½ cup baking soda followed by 1 cup vinegar into a plugged or sluggish drain. Let it sit for 20 minutes and form bubbles. After it stops bubbling, rinse with hot water.
Here are other ways you can use baking soda to clean:
- Clean the bathroom: Make a paste that can be put on a scrub brush or toilet brush. Clean toilet bowls, tubs and sinks with soda paste. Rinse it and wipe dry. For fiberglass, use a mixture of soda and dish soap. Wipe it on with a sponge so it does not scratch.
- Clean the refrigerator: Use a paste on a scrub brush.
- Clean barbecue grills: Use a paste and generously coat the grill with it. Let it sit for 10 minutes and scrub the grill with a scrubbing pad. The soda will remove baked on food.
- Clean greasy garage floors and remove grease from anything: Sprinkle baking soda on grease spots, and it will soak up the grease. Remove it with a paper towel, then use more baking soda with a scrub brush and clean the cement. Rinse with warm, clean water.
- Freshen kitty litter: Sprinkle baking soda in the kitty litter box to deodorize and freshen it.
- Remove burned on food from pans: Make a solution of baking soda and water by mixing 4 tablespoons of soda to 1 quart of water in the dirty pan. Heat it up and let it set for 10 minutes then rinse it out.
- Wash dishes: add ¼ cup soda to the wash water when washing the dishes.
- Wash fruits and veggies: Soak vegetables in a bowl with a solution of 4 tablespoons soda per quart of water. This cleans the vegetables and removes dirt, sprays and chemicals. Rinse produce before eating.
Medicinal And Personal Care Uses Of Baking Soda
Baking soda has myriad medicinal and personal care uses, including:
- Antacid to relieve heartburn and acid reflux: Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar to a small glass of water. It will bubble and fizz up. Drink it down two to three times during the day on an empty stomach, and it will neutralize the acid in the stomach and stop heartburn and acid reflux. Work up to 1 teaspoon of baking soda and ¼ cup vinegar mixed with 4 ounces of water. If it upsets your stomach, then back off on it.
- Athlete’s sore muscles: Athletes can take 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 4 ounces of water to relieve them of muscular pain from strenuous physical activity.
- Cancer: People are raising the PH level of their bodies by using baking soda. Cancer and other diseases may grow more slowly in a more alkaline environment. The healthy range for PH of the saliva and urine is 7.4.
- Canker sores: Put a dab of baking soda paste on the canker sore and leave it there as long as you can. It takes away the pain and may help heal the canker sore.
- Deodorant: Use straight by applying powder to underarms.
- Insect bites: Put a dab of paste on the bite and cover with a Band-Aid.
- Facial scrub: Mix equal parts of soda, salt and water together into a paste and scrub the face with it. Rinse it with warm water. This removes dead skin and blemishes.
- Mouthwash: Swish a soda solution made with 1 teaspoon soda to ½ cup of water around the mouth and gargle with it.
- Rashes, skin irritations, sunburns, bee stings: Spread a thin layer of soda paste on these. It relieves the itching and burning on contact.
- Stuffy nose: Put a solution of soda water in a humidifier and run it all night to help clear the sinuses and relieve a stuffy nose.
- Sore throat: Gargle with warm salt water (one cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda).
- Tooth decay: Taking a pinch of baking soda into your mouth and moving it around your teeth and gums with your tongue minimizes tooth decay.
- Toothpaste: Make a paste of soda and salt in equal portions and use it as toothpaste.
Household Cleaning With ION And Baking Soda
Because ION (stabilized oxygen) kills bacteria on contact, it can be used to disinfect countertops, clean vegetables and kill germs on cuts and wounds.
Soak vegetables in the following solution in a bowl: mix 3 tablespoons baking soda and 20 drops of ION in a ½ gallon of hot water. It will kill bacteria on the vegetables. Rinse before eating.
The more I use ION, the more uses I find for it. It is one of those amazing products just like baking soda.
ION Oxygenates The Blood
I talk about ION in my articles because I believe in this product 100 percent. Baking soda and ION together will give a person a real boost to his immune system and general overall health.
I take 20 drops ION and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a cup of water or juice (except lemon juice) every day. Lemon juice is the only acid that will neutralize ION, so do not mix lemon juice and ION together.
ION floods the body with lifesaving oxygen and raises the PH to an alkaline level which boosts the immune system so the body can do the job of healing itself. When the bloodstream is fully oxygenated, it fights disease.
P.O. Box 44 Manti, Utah 84642 United States
Telephone: 435-835-0311 Fax: 435-835-0312
Copyright ©2013 Peggy Layton. All rights reserved worldwide.